Substance use disorders affect many areas of a person’s wellbeing. A comprehensive discharge plan, therefore, promotes sustained recovery by preparing clients to navigate “life on life’s terms” after treatment ends.
At First Step Recovery, a safe discharge plan addresses the whole individual as well as environmental and support factors, which might include:
Suggestions for building and maintaining a sober social support system:
- Attend 12-step meetings (Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, etc.)
- Work with a sponsor
- Participate in peer support programs
Coping skills to foster mental/emotional health:
- Deep breathing techniques
- Mindfulness and/or meditation
- Using self-compassion
- Talking about thoughts/feelings
- Practicing gratitude
- Helping someone else/volunteering
- Expressing feelings through art or writing
- Reading inspirational materials
Tips for maximizing physical health:
- Maintaining healthy eating habits
- Staying hydrated
- Reducing caffeine intake
- Sleeping 6-8 hours per night
- Getting active at least 2-3 times per week
- Taking medication(s) as prescribed
- Refraining from drinking/using drugs!
Recommendations for maintaining a safe environment and meeting obligations:
- Sober living (safe housing in a structured environment to provide ongoing support and accountability)
- Attending all follow-up appointments (IOP, counseling, medical, legal, etc.)
Relapse prevention strategies:
- Be aware of triggers and avoid “people, places, and things” associated with the addiction lifestyle
- Prioritize recovery!
- Use calendars/scheduling tools to keep track of appointments and structure time wisely
- Work a 12-step program and find a sponsor
- Reach out to sober support if cravings occur
- Be honest with yourself and others
At First Step Recovery, we understand that a solid discharge plan, tailored to individual needs and addressing individual barriers, is essential to prepare clients for long-term recovery success!
If you need addiction treatment or recovery support, contact First Step Recovery today at 330.369.8022!