Our Outpatient Treatment services include Intensive Outpatient Treatment (IOP) and Aftercare Treatment (both of which provide a lower level of care than inpatient or partial hospitalization programs) for clients who are medically and psychiatrically stable.
These services enable clients to reintegrate into regular daily living while still receiving recovery support and building important skills. Additionally, clients can simultaneously work and/or attend school and can choose to live either independently, with family or in a sober living environment.
Although clients who participate in IOP and Aftercare have typically completed a higher level of care (such as inpatient treatment or partial hospitalization), this is not a requirement to take part in First Step Recovery’s outpatient services. Each client’s highly-personalized treatment plan takes into account his or her unique needs and life situation. Therefore, some clients who initiate services with us may meet criteria to start directly in our Outpatient Treatment.
Intensive Outpatient Treatment (IOP) Explained
Consisting of 24 group sessions (three sessions per week for eight weeks), IOP further prepares clients for sustained recovery by providing:
- Group and Individual Counseling: Primary Providers (to whom each client is assigned) are licensed clinicians who combine 12-step recovery principles with evidence-based treatment modalities—such as cognitive behavioral therapy and motivational interviewing—to help clients gain insight into their disease process while improving mental, emotional and spiritual health.
- 12-StepRecovery Groups: Clients engage with other like-minded members of the recovery community to help build a strong sober support system.
- Peer Support Services: Individuals who have a shared experience with addiction—and who have become certified Peer Supporters through coursework and training—help clients enhance recovery capital and provide guidance in navigating community resources, such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous programming.
- Relapse Prevention Planning: Clients develop insight into the nature and process of relapse, and identify triggers, risky situations and unhealthy relationships. Additionally, they learn to apply healthy coping skills rather than turning to drugs or alcohol.
- Case Management: Clients receive assistance with activities that strengthen and enhance recovery, such as communication with legal entities and referrals for medical/psychiatric care, vocational/educational pursuits and sober living environments.
Following IOP, clients may transition to Aftercare, which consists of eight weekly group sessions. As clients continue to apply the recovery skills they’ve learned, Aftercare helps them focus on recovery maintenance by continuing to provide:
- Group Counseling: Primary Providers facilitate groups that cover topics such as reducing stress, dealing with triggers and restructuring a sober lifestyle.
- Individual Counseling: Primary Providers also offer this service for clients to discuss ongoing personal concerns in a private setting.
- Case Management
- Peer Support Services
With First Step Recovery’s Outpatient Treatment, clients continue on the healing journey through guidance from our team of committed, compassionate professionals.
If you’re in need of support in maintaining sobriety, contact First Step Recovery today!